1. Empty your yeast packet into a small bowl. Add a pinch of sugar and pour 1 cup warm water over top and stir lightly. Let the mixture rest for 5 minutes or so until bubbly and creamy. After that, add 2 tablespoons of veggie or coconut oil to the yeast mix in the same small bowl.
2. In a large bowl, combine 3 cups of flour, 1 ½ teaspoon salt, ½ cup sugar. Whisk well.
3. Egg replacement time: In a small bowl, whisk together 3 tablespoons veggie or coconut oil, 3 tablespoons warm water and 2 teaspoons baking powder (it will fizz). Then, pour into your yeast bowl.
4. Add the yeast and egg replacement mixtures to your bowl of dry ingredients, stirring as you pour.
5. Mix dough with a spatula or wooden spoon, then get in there with your hands and knead until smooth.
6. Add up to 1 cup additional flour until dough leaves the side of the bowl
7. Coat the inside of a big bowl lightly with oil and drop your ball of dough inside.
8. Cover with a damp cloth, and let rise on your counter for 2 hours.
9. After your dough has doubled in size, dump it out onto a lightly floured surface.
10. Gently knead the dough to get out any big air bubbles, then braid as desired.
11. Place your braided dough onto a lightly greased and foil - lined baking sheet.
12. Cover with damp cloth and let rise 1 more hour.
13. Pre-heat your oven to 325 degrees, and toss that bad boy inside for 26-32 minutes.
14. Once it is evenly golden brown on top, take your challah out of the oven, place on a cooling rack.
15. Do not cover. Allow to cool, then put it in your face.