This is Ina Pinkney’s recipe. Ina opened Ina’s Kitchen in 1991, and it quickly became Chicago’s premier breakfast restaurant. She was also the chef/owner of INA’s restaurant and The Dessert Kitchen Ltd. catering company. She has appeared on the Food Network’s Sweet Dreams with Gale Gand and The Best Of program, as well as on CNN’s The Turnaround. She has been featured in The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, Vogue, Details, the Chicago Tribune, the Chicago Sun-Times, Gourmet, Midwest Living, as well as trade and in-flight magazines.
- 3/4 Cup uncooked white rice short grain for creamier pudding
- 2 Cups milk
- 1/3 Cup white sugar
- 1/4 Teaspoon salt
- 1 Egg
- 2/3 Cup raisins
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1/2 Teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a medium saucepan, bring 1 1/2 cups water to boil.
- Add rice and stir.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- In another saucepan, combine the cooked rice, with 1 1/2 cups milk, sugar and salt.
- cook over medium heat until thick and creamy, 15-20minutes.
- Stir in remaining 1/2 cup milk, beaten egg and raisins.
- Cook 2 minutes more, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and stir in butter and vanilla.
- Serve warm.